Friday 1 November 2013

Carrot Cake Recipe

The first time I was ever offered a slice of carrot cake I refused.  I like to think that I did it politely, but one’s own memory can be horribly biased, so without concrete evidence of the same, I am left to assume the best from my young self.  You see, my teenage brain was immediately certain that no good thing could come from combining carrots and cake, and I never for a single moment entertained the possibility that I could be missing out on something heavenly.  But I was missing out.  Big time! 

Fortunately, I grew out of being apprehensive about odd sounding combinations and have to concede that Carrot Cake has since become one of my all-time favourite cakes.  Like the cupcake, it is a classic bake.  This particular recipe is a constant at any of my tea parties.
 
I replaced the castor sugar called for in the original recipe with brown sugar and this simple substitution gives this Carrot Cake its deep golden brown colour which I just love.  Without a doubt this is one of the moistest Carrot Cake recipes I have ever tried.   
 
The Rhodes Pineapple Crush adds a wonderful sweetness to the cake, and the faint taste of cinnamon which lingers creates a combination that leaves you heady with delight.  I spent a bit of time this week reading different Carrot Cake recipes in my book collection as well as on the internet and I was surprised to find that pineapple is not a usual ingredient in most.  But for me it just wouldn’t be Carrot Cake without it.  I would say the same about the cream cheese icing.
 
File 2252
 
File 2253
 
Serves 10 slices
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time 1hr30min plus cooling.
Ingredients
 
4 eggs
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup oil
½ cup reserved pineapple juice
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots
½ cup chopped pecan nuts
1 can Rhodes Pineapple crush, drained, reserve ½ cup of the juice
 
Method
  1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. Line your cake tin bottom with baking paper and grease or spray the sides with non-stick spray.
  3. Beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Slowly beat in the oil and reserved pineapple juice.
  5. Sift all the dry ingredients together and gently fold into the mixture.
  6. Stir in the carrots, pecan nuts and pineapple crush.
  7. Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
  8. Allow to cool completely before icing.
 
File 2251
 
Cream Cheese Icing
 
80g butter (white margarine is great if you want a super white icing)
175g tub of plain cream cheese
2 cups icing sugar, sifted
Fresh Lavender
 
  1. For the icing cream the butter till pale and creamy.
  2. Add the cream cheese, and beat for a minute. 
  3. Add the sifted icing sugar mix to blend.  
  4. Do not beat this icing too long! If you do it will go runny and never recover.
  5. Sandwich the two halves of the cake together with some of the icing.
  6. Spread the remaining icing evenly and neatly on the top of the cake.
  7. Sprinkle lavender flowers over the top of the icing, the glorious flavour of the lavender will infuse into the icing as it stand